The coconut oil craze is still going strong and it comes to no surprise that we’d want to share the health benefits with our furry friends too. As we’ve mentioned before, coconut oil has great benefits for your dog. It helps with digestion, alleviates symptoms of arthritis and joint problems, eliminates bad odor, contains antibacterial and antifungal properties, and keeps the skin and coat healthy and shiny!
Simply giving them coconut oil works too but we’ve come up with some fun and easy recipes that we know your pup with love!
We just recommend to not go too crazy and over feed your dog with coconut oil. While coconut oil has many health benefits, too much at once may lead to an upset stomach.
Here are our Top 5 Coconut Oil Dog Treats:
1. Frozen Peanut Butter and Banana with Coconut Oil Dog Treats
These treats are perfect for the summer! This recipe has some of your dog’s favorites ingredients and it’s so simple to make.
1. Place your peeled banana, peanut butter and coconut oil into a bowl and smash/mix it together. Don’t worry if it’s a little chunky.
2. Once mixed together, fill the plastic bag with the mixture.
3. Snip the corner of the bag with scissors and squeeze the mixture into your silicone mold tray.
4. Once your mold is filled, pop into the freezer until solid.
5. Treat your pup when ready!
2. Apple Cinnamon Donut Dog Cookies
These delightful donuts will even make your mouth water and with great healthy ingredients for your dog, you can’t go wrong!
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Add whole wheat flour, oat flour and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg, then add water, grated apple and coconut oil. Mix everything together.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix it all together
6. Knead dough ball with your hands for about 3-5 minutes, just until it is thoroughly combined.
7. Roll dough ball flat to about ¼ inch thick and then cut out donut shapes. You can use a round cookie cutter for the donut shape and a small bottle cap for the donut hole.
8. Place the donuts and holes onto the baking sheets.
9. Bake for about 25-30 minutes in the oven.
10. For the icing, just mix the yogurt with some honey and dip one side of the donut into the icing.
11. Once the donuts are glazed, freeze them for 30 minutes to harden. Then take these treats out a few minutes before whenever you’re ready to reward your pup!
3. Frozen Coconut Oil and Blueberry Dog Treats
Another fresh way to keep your pup cool this summer. These treats are even simpler and your dog benefits from all the goodness from the coconut oil and the anti-oxidants from the berries. These tasty healthy-minded treats are a clear win!
1. Place a frozen blueberry into each silicone mold.
2. In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil until it liquefies.
3. Allow coconut oil to cool for a few minutes, then carefully pour oil into each mold.
4. Carefully place mold into the fridge to solidify.
5. When coconut oil treats are solid, pop them out of the mold and you can always store them in a freezer bag if you want to make more treats in your tray!
4. Coconut and Pear Dog Cookie
These soft cookie balls are going to be your dog’s new favorite snack! These nutritious treats are the best way to avoid harmful ingredients in store bought treats and they’ll be sure to keep your pup satisfied.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Roll dough into small balls and place on parchment paper.
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Let them cool for a bit and then they’re ready to be taste tested by your fur baby!
5. Frozen Minty Breath Dog Treats
These treats are beneficial for you and your pup! If you love getting kisses from your dog but they have a bit of bad breath, well these minty treats will certainly help to improve your dog's stinky breath!
1. In a blender, combine the coconut oil and chicken broth. The coconut oil should be completely liquefied.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and pulse until smooth.
3. Evenly distribute the mixture into each of your mold. Freeze the ice tray mold until completely frozen. When they’re ready just pop them out of the mold and treat your pup!